Our Legislative Progress
Decoding Dyslexia MI is a grassroots movement driven by MI families concerned with the limited access to educational interventions for dyslexia within our public schools. We aim to raise dyslexia awareness, empower families to support their children and inform policymakers on best practices to identify, remediate and support students with dyslexia in MI public schools.
Our group is made up of parents of children who are dyslexic. We are not experts, nor are we a business or educational organization. We offer parents the benefit of our collective experiences. We encourage parents to meet with their local policymakers to tell the story of their child, and ask for policies and legislation to identify and support dyslexic children in our public schools.
We are advocating to implement:
• A universal definition and understanding of “dyslexia” in the state education code
• Mandatory teacher training on dyslexia, its warning signs and appropriate intervention strategies
• Mandatory early screening tests for dyslexia
• Mandatory dyslexia remediation programs, which can be accessed by both general and special education populations
• Access to appropriate “assistive technologies” in the public school setting for students with dyslexia
Please consider learning more about how to be part of the solution by volunteering to advocate!
Click here to see some successful advocating on a national level.